From army uniforms to your mom’s old Gap hoodie, everything that has never before been considered “fashion” is now fair game for the bizarre world of prêt-à-porter. The same clothes that would have mortified you in 2005 if you had run into your ex in them are now strutting down fashion week’s hottest runways. And no one does the anti-fashion thing better than Vetements, the streetwear-infused label that’s going down in history as the sartorial trailblazer (pun not intended) of our era. Whether you like it or not.
Which brings up the question: in an age when everything is Vetements, what isn’t Vetements? A tantalizing mystery, but we think we’ve cracked the code. Below, here are 16 looks that are *not* Vetements… yet. Demna, are you listening?
1) This toddler rocking an oversized backpack and hot pink dino shoes is not Vetements.
2) This still from Leto, a Russian rock-n-roll film by Kirill Serebrennikov, is not Vetements.
3) This look, which includes layers of normcore in both a literal and an allegorical way, is not Vetements.
4) This poodle wearing a pink bikini is not Vetements.
5) This optical illusion/psychologically disturbing pair of leggings is not Vetements.
6) Lindsay’s gaucho pants are not Vetements.
7) This investigation into the physical and metaphysical limits of patterned tights is not Vetements.
8) This cheeky squash is not Vetements.
9) This plain white t-shirt is not Vetements.
10) This entire outfit worn by Rabi Kenny, the woman behind @tinygentleasians and @tinygentlemum, is not Vetements. Not even the socks and sandals.
11) These bedazzled fanny packs are not Vetements.
12) Miley’s scandalous MySpace pics are not Vetements.
13) This dog wearing a black puffer is not Vetements.
14) These Tevas with socks are not Vetements.
15) This wolf shirt painting is not Vetements.
16) Neither Justin Bieber’s nor the baby’s outfit is Vetements. Actually, you might want to fact check this one.
Photos via @vampstina, @kitsendei, @agathedebailliencourt, @isaleabootaz, @mizdaisydoodle, @stinary, @2000sgal, @petespaleo, @whitetshirtco, @tinygentlemum, @driftless.vintage, orkuncelik131, @tinytoespinksoles, @davepollotart, Bored Panda