Stressed at work and in life? Have you joined in the latest mindfulness craze yet that is the adult colouring phenomenon? Trust us, adult colouring is really a thing. And it’s hugely popular. What once was an activity that kept us entertained as kids, is now returning as a trend for adults. Therapeutic elements parents sought to keep their children calm or entertained before bed time, are now being applied to adults, to help distract them from the daily pressures of life – with claims by many that colouring is a form of meditation that helps you achieve mindfulness. According to the American Art Therapy Association, art therapy is a mental health profession in whereby the practice of making and creating artwork is used to “explore feelings, reconcile emotional conflicts, foster self-awareness, manage behaviour and addictions, develop social skills, improve reality orientation, reduce anxiety and increase self-esteem.” So basically, it’s very similar to good old therapy.
That said, here are the top 10 benefits of colouring for adults to unleash their inner Picasso when their boss sucks!
- Your brain can experience relief by entering a meditative state
- It’s a great way to lower your stress and anxiety levels
- Negative thoughts are expelled as you take in positivity
- Focusing on the present helps you achieve mindfulness
- Unplugging from technology encourages your creative side to come out
- You don’t have to be an artist to enjoy colouring – there is no skill level
- You can take your love of colouring wherever you go!
- It’s a cheap hobby!
- Colouring can bring us back to a simpler time. An activity that can invoke the easier and happier times of childhood
- Believe it or not, colouring has intellectual benefits as well. It utilises areas of the brain that enhance focus and concentration. It also helps with problem solving and organisational skills.
Give it a go and you may just surprise yourself by achieving a sense of chill. If not, at least you have something pretty to hang on your wall. If your artwork is not hangable, your life at least will be a little more colourful!
If you want to give it a try…Check out these adult coloring books on Amazon!
Text by Peigi Mackillop
All images via Super Coloring,Gif via Tenor