Casual Work London
Closing date: 30 Aug 2022
Bonhams is looking for Art Handler Assitants to join the Operations Team on a casual basis.
Bonhams is a global auction house with an 18th-century heritage poised for transformative change. Our global operations are based in London, Paris, New York, Los Angeles and Hong Kong where we sell in over 60 categories, including motor cars, paintings, jewellery, and entertainment memorabilia.
About the team
The London Art Handling team are a passionate and enthusiastic group based between our New Bond Street and Knightsbridge locations. We consistently provide a high level of support to auctions and the surrounding internal processes of the auction house. We pride ourselves on safely and efficiently installing and deinstalling a wide range of artwork in accordance with the demanding auction calendar. We take great care in presenting artwork to the highest aesthetic standard and continually look to improve with new techniques. Working alongside the wider operations team on auction day we ensure the smooth running of auctions providing support and a high level of customer service to clients as required. We also support a number of specialist departments in pre and post auction activities vital to the successful operation of the business.
About the role
This flexible support role assists the Art Handling team during the busier periods of the auction calendar and provides individuals with an introduction into the Auction industry. It includes support in the galleries during public viewings and at times assisting with the installation and deinstallation of auctions.
The maintenance of viewing standards, safety and security of artwork on display should be a priority at all times as well as providing high standards of client service. On occasions you will be asked to assist with the movement of artworks pre and post auction, ensuring safe handling throughout.
- This is a flexible position with work only available when additional assistance is required
• Provide support for the Art Handling team during public views- checking quality of displays, consistency of signage and general standards of cleanliness
• Being aware of all security aspects of the saleroom including the monitoring of goods in the saleroom itself, loading bay and other public areas
• Ensure the safety of the artworks and clients in the gallery as well as identifying and escalating any issues such as trip hazards, loose hangings or similar
• Ensure that the saleroom is always attended by viewing staff and adequate cover is provided to attend to client requests or ensure safety of property
• Respond to client requests for handling / presenting works
• Refer client requests for condition reports, catalogues or sale specifics to the appropriate staff
• Ensure clear and frequent communication to colleagues and Management, ensuring any issues are escalated in a timely manner
• Installation of artworks and objects, requiring the use of hand and power tools upon occasions
• Regular heavy lifting, including moving large paintings, sculpture, works of art, furniture, saleroom equipment and display cabinets
• Maintain high degree of vigilance for the safe custody of goods on viewing and auction days, reporting any anomalies to Art Handlers, Senior Art Handler, Head of Saleroom or Gallery Manager
• Ensuring that all key areas in the building are clear and operational at all times
• To provide excellent client service at all times
• Be aware of, and follow, all best practices concerning the handling of art and objects and health and safety controls in the worklplace
• Accurate locating of property within the salerooms and in collections
• To safeguard and protect condition of artwork at all times
• Movement, handling and packing of artwork between and within Bonhams locations in compliance with company manual handling and health and safety policies
• Prepare the gallery before the commencement of the auction ensuring all the necessary equipment is available and in place
• Ensure all accidents, damage or loss are immediately reported to the Head of Saleroom and a report is sent to the correct internal email for record purposes
Key Skills & Attributes
• Efficient, hard-working, prepared to take the initiative
• Able to work calmly under pressure
• Excellent client service skills
• Flexible approach to work, honest and highly self-motivated
• Prepared for hard, physical work and at times long hours
• Able to work evenings and weekends when required
• Flexible team player
• Proactive approach to serving client demands
• Computer literate
– 28 days annual leave (including bank holidays) increasing to 33 with service.
-Private Health Care
-Health & Wellbeing Assistance Programme
-Enhanced Family Friendly Policies
-Learning and Training Assistance Programme
-Annual Travel Season Ticket Loan
-Cycle to Work Scheme
If you wish to apply, please send your CV via email to Recruitment.
We thank you for your interest in this position but please note that we will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration.
Bonhams is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.