LACMA’s Gallery Lighting Team is a subset of the Gallery Construction Department and supports the Exhibition Programs Department by designing and implementing lighting designs that showcase and protect the artwork for all exhibitions at the museum. The Gallery Lighting Intern will gain firsthand experience in each step of both the design and technical processes, from idea to implementation.
This will include concept development, project management, collaboration with other departments, as well as a foundational exposure to architectural lighting control systems, instruments, and
- This is a paid part-time internship (16-24 hours per week, $16.04/hr)
- Anticipated Internship period: February 16, 2023 – May 11, 2023
Interns will gain knowledge in the following areas:
- The role light plays in the presentation and conservation of artworks and historical objects.
- The process of designing a lighting plan for museum exhibitions from idea to implementation.
- Development of communication tools to convey design ideas to curators as well as detailed design documentation for installers.
- Introduction to or further development of software skills which could include AutoCAD, Revue, Photoshop, AGI32, Lightwright, etc.
- Methods of research, testing, and selection of materials for exhibition lighting design.
- Project management skills related to implementing museum exhibitions.
- Architectural lighting control systems and building infrastructure that support exhibition lighting design.
Interns will participate in the following ways:
- Shadow the Gallery Lighting Assistant while they monitor existing lighting designs in the galleries, prepare lighting equipment for installation, during install, and at focus.
- Shadow the Gallery Lighting Designer throughout the design process and at exhibition design and planning meetings.
- Meet with LACMA teams that interact with Gallery Lighting such as Exhibition Design, Gallery Media, Construction, Curatorial, Conservation, Registration, Art Preparation and Installation, Facilities, etc.
- Attend museum talks, curator-led tours, and educational programs to learn about LACMA’s mission and collection.
- Students who are curious about career paths in art and design are encouraged to apply.
- A strong interest in learning about lighting design in a museum or architectural setting is welcome.
- No previous experience is required.
- Be actively enrolled in an undergraduate studies program and have completed at least one semester, or two quarters, of college by January, 2023. Students who recently graduated in December, 2022 are also eligible. (Students enrolled in a second BA or BS program will not be eligible.)
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and must submit an unofficial transcript with their applications for verification.
- Reside in and attend college within the greater Los Angeles area.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
- Complete a 500 word essay along with their application answering the following prompt:
Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
Required Application Materials: Resume, cover letter, unofficial transcript, and your response to above essay prompt.
The deadline to apply is December 11, 2022