MCA Denver is looking for a creative, passionate, and driven individual to be our next Assistant Director of Marketing and Design. This job requires someone who will create and execute strategic marketing plans and flex their creative muscles in big and small ways to further the museum’s goals and bring our brand to new audiences. A natural team player and mentor with a sense of humor and strong work ethic, this position plays a vital role on the team, connecting all internal teams and communicating all our exhibitions, events, and other key news to new and existing audiences.
The position is full-time with benefits and is expected to be on-site a minimum of two days a week. We are headquartered, and this position is based, in the downtown Denver area.
- You are passionate about creating and executing strategic marketing plans and flexing your creative muscles in big and small ways to further the museum’s goals and bring our brand to new audiences.
- You enjoy the start-up mentality, creating and putting new processes in place meant to build solid foundations and scale for growth.
- You have a strong desire to work with a creative, diverse, and collaborative team, mostly during regular museum operating hours and occasionally some nights and weekends to support our epic programs and events.
A Day in the Life
Marketing and Advertising Strategy and Execution
- Develop, manage, and implement integrated and strategic marketing plans for exhibitions, programs, development, digital, retail, food and beverage, and membership initiatives, to grow the museum’s reach, visibility, and visitation.
- In coordination with the Director of Communications, Partnerships, and Digital Initiatives, develop a long-term vision for how the museum’s various marketing efforts work in concert; lead the execution of that vision.
- Closely manage the museum’s brand and voice, ensuring that all public-facing marketing assets and written materials embody the brand, voice, and values.
- Strategize and coordinate paid digital and traditional advertising efforts.
- Leverage surveys, Google Analytics, YouTube and other marketing metrics to drive effective museum marketing campaigns.
- Work with the Director of Communications, Partnerships and Digital Initiatives to establish and adhere to departmental operating budgets.
- Function as project manager for all internal marketing requests, developing processes to ensure effective cross-departmental communication and that deadlines are met.
- Utilize Asana and other project management tools to lead marketing campaigns and manage various internal and external parties responsible for providing content, etc.
- Lead marketing team in gathering metrics for month-end reports, quarterly board meetings, and sponsorship fulfillment; assist the Director of Communications, Partnerships, and Digital Initiatives in making informed decisions on marketing strategies based on metrics.
In-House Graphic Design
- Act as in-house graphic designer, coordinating with each team in the museum to determine a marketing plan, budget, and timeline for various deliverables.
- Assign design needs to Digital Marketing Specialist as needed and act as liaison with outside design firm as needed.
- Recruit, hire, train, mentor and evaluate members of the Marketing team, including the Digital Marketing Specialist.
- Collaborate cross-departmentally to align marketing and design needs across the organization.
- Coordinate with external vendors including designers, web team, mail and digital marketing, and various freelancers.
What You Bring to Us
- A four-year degree in Communications, Marketing, English or Liberal Arts preferred, or in a related field, or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Requires minimum of 5 years of experience in marketing, project strategy, social media management and design.
- Proven expertise with Microsoft Office and G Suites, MailChimp, YouTube, HTML, CMS, Adobe Creative Suite, Shopify, Asana and major social media platforms is necessary. Experience with Google Grant Ads is preferred.
- Experience applying an equitable analysis to all duties to achieve organizational goals and demonstrate MCA Denver’s commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made upon request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to speak, understand, and communicate in English effectively, in person and in writing. Ability to hear adequately in person and by phone, in personal and group settings.
- Ability to work with, and process information from, a variety of individuals and media (e.g. computers, projected images, printed materials), and sitting and/or standing up to 6 hours per day.
- Mobility necessary to access various offices and a wide variety of meeting and museum settings. Mobility necessary to perform a variety of tasks that involve standing, walking, sitting, stooping, kneeling, bending and twisting, occasionally climbing stairs or using an elevator, possibly reaching chest high and overhead for materials.
- Ability to reach for, move and/or lift up to 25 pounds and the use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA Denver) is a nonprofit organization providing an innovative forum for contemporary art that inspires and challenges, creating understanding and dialog about the art of our time. MCA Denver is paving a new path for a 21st century museum that is Both/And: We are both advancing the field of contemporary art and providing a platform for creative expression, in the broadest sense of the term. We present both world-class exhibitions and quirky events, serious lectures and epic parties. We are both sophisticated and unpretentious. We welcome all audiences, celebrate all voices, and share all stories to provide one-of-a-kind experiences for our community.
Our Core Values
Adventurous – We are risk-takers. We are creative, open, curious, and sometimes weird.
Excellent – We strive to be the best in our field, we have high expectations, we believe in being resilient, creative problem-solvers, and professionals.
Human Centric – We are collaborative. We strive for emotional intelligence, and we value relationships.
Inclusive – We are welcoming to all audiences, voices, and stories. We believe in being authentic and inclusive. We actively seek and engage with diverse perspectives.
MCA Denver is committed in policy, principle, and practice to maintaining an environment that prohibits discriminatory behavior and provides equal opportunity for all persons. MCA Denver affirms its commitment to provide a welcoming and respectful work and educational environment, in which all individuals within the museum community may benefit from each other’s experiences and foster mutual respect and appreciation of divergent views. All employment decisions at MCA Denver are based on business needs, job requirements and individual applicant qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, or belief, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), family or parental status, or any other status protected by law. MCA Denver will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
MCA Denver was founded in 1996 by philanthropist Sue Cannon and a group of committed volunteers and artists who responded to the community’s need for a contemporary art museum in Denver. In 2007, we opened our new, 27,000-square foot, environmentally sustainable facility in the Riverfront neighborhood of lodo Denver. Our building has five galleries on two floors as well as dedicated education spaces, a gift shop, an innovative art lending library, and a rooftop bar and café. In 2021, MCA Denver will be opening a satellite location at the Holiday Theater in Denver’s Northside. This 380-seat auditorium will be the site of some of the museum’s programming and events beginning the Spring of 2022.
Visit us at https://mcadenver.org to learn more.
- This is an exempt, salary position. The salary range is $67,000 to $70,000 commensurate with experience and includes our standard benefits package, including a medical plan, dental plan, basic term life insurance, short term disability, 403b retirement, holiday pay and generous paid time off.
- Please submit your interest via our applicant portal by clicking the button below.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but priority consideration will be given to those received by June 30, 2022.