Are you someone who is:
• Knowledgeable about museum learning and audience engagement?
• Collaborative, with both a proven attention to detail and adherence to timelines?
• Able to synthesize and explain ideas and information clearly for many different people?
If so, then the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago is looking for you!
We have an opening for a full-time Associate Director of Interpretation and Audience Research. The Associate Director develops innovative inclusive experiences that actively engage visitors with the MCA’s exhibitions, collections, and programs; inviting participation, reflection, and connection between visitors and art. Working collaboratively, they experiment with new approaches to accessibility and education, and continually assess and revise these with internal and external research partners. To be successful in this role, you must be able to:
· Develop museum-wide strategies for interpretive content that prioritize visitor engagement through reflection, creative participation, and empowering experiences.
· Lead interpretive projects across the museum, incorporating visitor research and project evaluation.
· Work collaboratively with curators to establish interpretive goals for exhibitions and programs.
· Lead and implement visitor testing strategies and evaluation around exhibitions and programs, reporting findings to museum colleagues.
· Develop and contribute to audience research through available and new methods as well as first-hand experience with MCA visitors.
· Work with curatorial and editorial staff to write or edit gallery panels, labels, and other interpretive texts and didactics, including multi-media.
· Experiment with new interpretive approaches, including but not limited to in-gallery installations, response mechanisms, printed pieces, and digital tools.
· Work with internal and external experts at the outset of each project to ensure inclusive access for people with disabilities.
Desired qualifications are a graduate degree in Museum Education or equivalent experience, 5 to 7 years of experience in interpretive planning or education in the museum field, experience managing staff, and:
• Demonstrated understanding of best practices and emerging approaches to interpretation.
• Ability to work cross-departmentally to coordinate efforts between curators, editors, designers, and other stakeholders.
• Experience with developing impactful communication tools within organizations required.
• Extensive experience with designing evaluative research and assessing visitor experience outcomes.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Project management skills, including budgeting.
This is a full-time position with a schedule of Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm and as required for implementation of responsibilities and related museum activities. General mobility throughout museum properties required.
Interested? APPLY NOW at https://mcachicago.org/About/Employment.
P.S. The MCA provides a generous benefits package that includes: health, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacation and personal days; free life, AD&D, short term and long term disability insurance; retirement plans; discounted parking; pre-tax transportation programs; visiting the MCA’s galleries; curator led staff tours of MCA exhibitions; discounts at the MCA Store and MCA restaurant Marisol; discounts for MCA Stage and other programs; plus a wide variety of discounts at many cultural institutions in the Chicagoland area.
The MCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. In addition, we aspire to make the MCA community and our environment – staff, audiences, artists, programs, and exhibitions – reflective of the diversity of the city of Chicago and to capture the spirit of access, inclusion, and equity in all we do. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: [email protected]