Christie’s, the world’s largest Art Business, is an incredibly exciting & enriching place to start or continue your career. Whether you work within one of our Specialist Art Departments or in our more Operational focused teams we are all working together with one common goal in mind: to continue the success of this 250 year old company, steeped in history, bringing constant innovation whilst not forgetting our age old values; Passionate Expertise, Exceptional Client Service, Teamwork, Integrity, Business Judgement & Innovation.
The Associate Specialist is primarily responsible for cataloguing and preparing consigned property for sale in NY, but also with the global team and in sales organized at other Christie’s offices worldwide. In addition, this position works closely under the supervision of International senior specialist colleagues to develop increased responsibility in the production of appraisals and proposals, and an increased knowledge of client relationships, negotiation skills and the relevant markets. Finally, we should make also clear that the job requires travelling, both within the U.S. and on occasion to other Christie’s sites.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Research property including authenticity, bibliography, provenance and exhibition history.
- Catalogue property for public and private sales and prepare catalogue essays.
- Prepare property for hilling sessions (meetings to determine value, condition and marketability of property) and amend catalogue sheets after hilling sessions.
- Review incoming photo inquires with senior specialist or department head to determine sale potential.
- Work with all client categories (collectors, dealers, corporations, institutions) in the areas of business-getting and selling, under the supervision of more senior specialist or department head.
- With guidance from the department head, liaise with the Trusts, Estates & Appraisals department on appraisals to generate long-term business opportunities and reconnect with inactive clients.
- Assist the Department of British Drawings regarding property to be sold in New York.
- Participate in catalogue production and layout process.
- Prepare condition reports of consigned property prior to the auction.
- Participate in pre-sale exhibition set-up.
- Assist clients in the galleries during sale week.
- Participate in Telephone Bidding with clients during the auction.
- View and visit competitors’ auctions and track overall results.
- Actively participate in events, art fairs, and other functions to represent Christie’s, including sale support and participation at some Christie’s global sites.
- Serve as primary liaison with outside experts.
- Other duties as assigned by Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in applicable Art History or Old Masters category; M.A preferred.
- Prior experience in cataloging works of art
- Minimum of 4 years paid work experience in related field; or 2 years as a Junior Specialist.
- Knowledge of the auction business.
- Candidate must hold proper work authorization prior to applying.
- Demonstrated ability in appraising property and business-getting.
- Knowledge of E-mail, Spreadsheet, Word Processing and Presentation software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Ability to learn Christie’s systems including COS, JDE and intranet and website.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior written and spoken communication.
- Superior client service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision care plans for employees and dependents (On average, Christie’s pays 80% of total premiums)
- 401(k) Savings Plan – Christie’s provides a matching contribution up to 5% (subject to IRS limits)
- Life Insurance – 3x base salary up to $400k (100% paid by Christie’s)
- Disability Insurance (100% paid by Christie’s)
- Generous time-off and leave policies; including 100% Paid Family Leave up to 16 weeks.
- Onsite weekly yoga class
- Fitness Reimbursement Program: reimbursement of eligible fitness fees and memberships up to $520 per year
- Annual Discretionary Performance Bonus Plan
- Commuter Benefits – Pre-tax money towards your daily commute with a Christie’s contribution of $21 per month
- Back Up Child & Elder Care – up to 10 days of back-up Child or Elder Care through Bright Horizons
- CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) Day- Each employee receives one paid day per year to dedicate their time to a charity of their choice.
- Perks and Discounts through Zo and Plum Benefits
*Christie’s reserves the right to change company benefits at any time