Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
In this newly created role, the Chinese Editor will work under the direction of the Asia and global marketing team, to create Chinese-language content plan that is aimed at engaging existing clients as well as new audiences. The Chinese Editor will work closely with key internal colleagues in the press, marketing, and specialist departments to identify needs and opportunities for content in direct support of international auctions and Buy Now platform. In addition, the Chinese Editor will also act as a corporate resource for questions related to English to Chinese translation and vice-versa.
The Chinese Editor will commission stories from external and internal contributors and manage the editorial process leading to publication and distribution. The individual will be responsible for meeting all deadlines, and tracking performance against goals. The Chinese Editor will work across time zones, staying in constant communication with colleagues in different locations to ensure that content is executed according to current standards, and that it supports to the global department’s strategies and goals.
The successful candidate will be a native Chinese speaker who is results-oriented, digitally savvy and passionate about making great content that meets current best practices. The individual will be a highly organized multi-tasker and a creative problem solver with excellent written and verbal communication skills. The Chinese Editor must also be goals-oriented, with a keen understanding of how data is used in all phases of the editorial process, from planning through distribution.
- Work with the Marketing team to develop a weekly Content Plan for review and approval by the Global Bureau
- Collaborate with colleagues in the press, marketing and the specialist department to identify opportunities and needs for all Asian-based content published on Sotheby’s digital channels
- Commission external and internal contributors
- Supervise the successful execution of the plan, from editing through production
- Analyse performance metrics and use results to inform decision making and improve future performance
- Act as the direct point of contact for Specialists and other internal clients to understand their translation needs and to manage expectations and deadlines
- Assign translation tasks to the relevant translators (in house and/or consultant) according to ability.
- Act as the initial point of quality control for HK produced translation that passes through the department, ensuring adherence to Sotheby’s style and lexicon.
- Edit according to Sotheby’s style guide.
- At least 5-7 years’ experience working in digital media creation (editorial bias)
- Proficiency using a CMS
- Strong competency in writing and editing in Chinese for digital platforms
- Experience using industry-standard analytics tools, such as Omniture, Chartbeat and Simple Reach
- Previous experience in Translation
- Experience in the arts/luxury sectors
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant area
- Project management experience
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here .
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here .
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.