Applications are invited for a Communications Advisor to work alongside a collaborative team to develop and implement communication plans that support Emily Carr University’s strategic objectives.
Reporting to the Manager, Communications, the Communications Advisor informs and engages the university community and other stakeholders, and promotes effective communication across the institution.
They work with senior administrators to develop messaging on confidential matters, and support a variety of university activities, including issues management, strategic planning, and equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Permanent Full-Time Excluded Position
- 8:30am to 4:30pm (Flexible) | Monday to Friday
- Option for Partial Remote Work
- Grade 6: $70,000 to $80,700 per annum
Apply online at https://ecuad.peopleadmin.ca/postings/1707
Position will remain open until filled. Review of applications will start on October 12, 2021.
- Develops and implements communications plans to inform and engage the university community and other stakeholders.
- Researches, writes and edits copy for announcements, statements, websites, email newsletters, briefing notes, scripts and other communications needs.
- Participates in confidential discussions and briefings with senior administrators on matters of a sensitive nature, such as budget and finance, labour relations, personnel changes and legal matters.
- Supports the development of key messages on a variety of issues. Ensures messaging is consistent and supports initiatives to align communications across the university.
- Researches, handles and organizes confidential and sensitive information in the development of communication plans.
- Coordinates and implements an internal communications calendar that supports university priorities, strategic goals, and important dates and events.
- In collaboration with team members, plans and coordinates the production of multimedia content, including video, audio, presentations, online features, and other content.
- Supports community engagement and institutional change initiatives. Promotes participation and transparency by sharing information, conducting surveys, promoting town halls, and facilitating other methods of consultation.
- Develops and maintains guides, training materials and other resources that build the community’s capacity for effective communications.
- Supports the development of communications policies, frameworks and guidelines.
- Participates in emergency and crisis communications. Provides advice and ensures stakeholders receive timely and accurate information.
- Supports media relations activities as needed. Able to act as a spokesperson for the university.
- As a collaborative member of the Communications + Marketing team, assists in the development and delivery of other projects and activities.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications + Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, such as communications, journalism, public relations or marketing.
- Minimum five years of professional experience in communications, preferably in the public sector.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Experience developing and implementing communications plans for a variety of different audiences.
- Experience in community engagement, change management, and/or crisis communications.
- Experience working in the arts, creative industries or post-secondary sector is an asset
- Experience producing video or audio content is an asset.
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills.
- Highly skilled in plain language writing and audience-centred communication.
- Proficient in writing for the web. Competency with web content management and email marketing tools.
- Effective interpersonal skills to collaborate in an inclusive cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to use sound judgment, tact and discretion in dealing with sensitive or confidential issues.
- Strong speaking and presentation skills.
- Self-directed orientation with the ability to take initiative.
- Excellent project management and time management skills.
- Values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility and respect.
Emily Carr University especially invites those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense.
In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized.These include women, persons with diverse gender expressions and identities, persons of all sexual orientations, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and First Nations, Metis, Inuit and Indigenous persons.
All qualified people are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.