Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego: Events Associate
Reports to: Director, Special Events
Employee Status: Full-Time, Non-exempt
Primary Work Location: La Jolla / currently remote due to COVID-19
OUR WORK CULTURE: The Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego (MCASD) provides employees with a collaborative work culture where they can combine both their love and support of the arts and work in an enriching and diverse environment, while further developing their specific professional knowledge, skills, and abilities.
ABOUT MCASD: Come grow with us: With our current expansion efforts well underway at our La Jolla campus, which will double the building’s overall size, it is an exciting time to join MCASD. We are positioned to be a cultural beacon for the region upon re-opening our La Jolla flagship building. With its two locations, MCASD is the region’s foremost forum devoted to the exploration and presentation of the art of our time, presenting works across all media created since 1950. Located in the heart of downtown San Diego and in the coastal community of La Jolla, MCASD provides an unprecedented variety of exhibition spaces and experiences for the community, showcasing an internationally recognized collection and a dynamic schedule of exhibitions and public programs.
JOB SUMMARY: Provide a high level of administrative, coordination, and event planning support and oversee particular duties throughout the event planning process to ensure Museum event goals and objectives are successfully met. Support the mission and vision of the Museum throughout performance of duties.
- Maintain the organization’s master calendar; oversee venue availability, space booking, calendar changes, and all event internal and external bookings for venue spaces; produce monthly reports for regular cross-departmental venue logistics meetings.
- In consultation with the Director of Special Events, coordinate and implement events for the Museum’s Advancement Department, the Directors’ Office, Education & Engagement, and Curatorial Department, including fundraising galas, exhibition openings, public lectures, board and trustee committee meetings, and more.
- Assist with day-to-day operations in the Events Department, responding to inquiries and providing follow-up with vendors, external clients, and internal colleagues.
- Provide project management and administrative support to the event rental program by generating contracts and coordinating all follow-through, including receipt of payment, insurance, invitation copy, etc.
- Maintain key event data in Altru database, including invitation lists, tracking RSVPs, and seating assignments.
- Conduct site visits with vendors, external clients, and other partners in preparation for events; produce layouts, timelines, and internal reports to ensure successful execution.
- Provide on-site support for select events, ensuring that MCASD policies and procedures are observed by all vendors, patrons, and guests; conduct occasional venue “Open House” on Saturdays throughout the year.
- Work collaboratively with Marketing & Communications department to conceptualize and administer Events department outreach and marketing efforts, including graphic design projects, copy writing, social media campaigns, and more.
- Interact diplomatically and build productive relationships with vendors, clients, patrons, and colleagues.
- Work additional hours, including some weekends and/or after regular business hours as needed.
- Follow policies and procedures to ensure a safe work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE: Proactive, organized, and reliable event professional; successful experience with the coordination, design, and execution of events of all scopes and scale; ability to coordinate different projects concurrently, often under pressure, while meeting deadlines; knowledge of basic event planning practices and industry standards; results-oriented with excellent organizational and planning skills; a self-starter and team player with energy, enthusiasm, and flexibility; strong negotiation and presentation abilities; excellent verbal and written communication; outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain professional decorum and interact with all levels of employees, members, trustees, donors, and vendors; strong technical and administrative skills with a proficiency in database management and MS Office. Bachelor’s degree and three years recent, relevant experience or equivalent education and experience. Knowledge of and/or experience in contemporary art, performing art, and visual art preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to see, listen, and talk for extended periods. Ability to perform repetitive motions, making substantial movements of the wrists, hands, or fingers. Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods. Ability to remain in a sedentary position for extended periods. Ability to lift, carry, push, or pull, exerting up to 25 pounds or a negligible amount occasionally, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
BACKGROUND CHECKS AND LICENSING: Must be able to clear Criminal background checks.
VACCINATION STATUS: Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption would apply.
EOE STATEMENT: MCASD is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.