Permanent fulltime position: London based
Up to £45,000pa
Belarus Free Theatre is looking for a talented Finance Manager to lead on the day to day operation, accuracy and integrity of the financial accounting systems within the organisation. The newly created position will work closely with the Executive Directors, supporting them with monthly accounts, undertaking variance analysis and implementing financial controls.
The post holder will have ambition and enthusiasm to drive change in the department to meet the needs of an evolving organisation.
They will be a good communicator, with the ability to work with a range of staff across all departments, have excellent analytical and spreadsheet skills, hands on experience as well as a formal accounting qualification (or part qualification) such as AAT or ACCA/CIMA.
BFT is more than a theatre: alongside exploding taboos on the world stage, BFT has pioneered an award-winning global model of activism that unites artistic, geopolitical, environmental and human rights concerns, using theatre as the catalyst for social change.
Since 2011, BFT has created award-winning theatre at-distance between London, home to co-founding Artistic Directors, Natalia Kaliada and Nicolai Khalezin, and Minsk, where their 20-strong permanent ensemble campaign, educate and perform every single day of the year.
- Management and control of the finance function, completion of all finance tasks including financial and management accounting
- Work as necessary with the Executive Director in drawing up annual company budgets, production budgets, annual operating plans and cash-flows, and long-term financial planning.
Monthly Management Accounts
- Report against annual budget on a monthly basis.
- Accuracy and completeness of data input
- Maintaining Purchase ledger and supplier information.
- Supplier payments.
- Petty cash payments, control, reconciliation and filing.
- Assisting on the export and creation of financial reporting.
Reporting and Accounts
- All financial accounting duties.
- Production of draft Monthly Management accounts for the Belarus Free Theatre.
- Balance sheet and control account reconciliation, preparing draft TB, reconciliation of income from productions, members and individual givers, sponsors, other sources of income. Bank reconciliation.
- Foreign exchange reconciliation.
- Prepare draft production accounts at the end of each show.
- Work with budget holders to keep monitoring systems up to date, ensure accuracy and completeness of records, identify variances and discrepancies.
- Draft Theatre Tax Relief returns.
- Overseeing the preparation of the annual audit pack and the statutory audit process.
- Management of the annual audit, liaising with BFT’s auditors.
- Preparation of fixed asset schedule, payroll and VAT reconciliation.
- Reconciliation of all balance sheet control accounts.
- Preparation of draft annual accounts (Management accounts).
- Ensure compliance with all reporting obligations including Companies House and Charity Commission.
Payroll and Pensions
- Prepare monthly payroll, cross-check payroll is prepared correctly with line manager. Variance analysis payroll vs salaries budget.
- Ensure compliance with payroll legislation and that adequate operating systems are in place
- Key contact with pensions providers.
- Preparation of calculations relating to Foreign entertainers.
- Implement Financial Controls across the organisation, plan and undertake internal audits as required.
- Monitoring bank accounts, balances, preparation of inter-bank transfers to maximise interest from cash resources.
- Any other financial duties as required by BFT.
Essential Skills and Experience required
- Full or part qualified ACCA/CIMA (or equivalent)
- Experience of Sage Line 50 and Sage payroll
- Excellent and proven IT skills including excel (vlookup, pivot tables etc)
- Accounts preparation to TB and Management Accounts
- A proven track record of managing finance in a small to medium sized organisation
- An understanding of Charity VAT, TTR and PAYE
- Experience of Charity Accounts and SORP
- A good communicator and advocate for the department
- Enthusiastic team player and internal communicator
- Efficient and methodical
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Responsible and reliable
- Ability to work across tight deadlines and manage a diverse workload
Desirable Skills and Experience required
- Experience of dealing with transactions in other countries
- Experience of production and or project accounting
- Experience of charity and/or arts environment
- Experience of preparation of quarterly VAT return including partial exemption calculations
- 3 years managerial or supervisory experience in a similar organisation
- Interest in theatre
- 20 days holiday (bank and public holidays in addition) rising to 25 days after 2 years of service
- Pension Scheme: 3% employer contribution (employee contribution 5%)
How to apply
Contact us for a candidate pack (available in alternative formats eg audio on request) [email protected] or follow link https://www.counterculturellp.com/wp-content/uploads/Finance-Manager-Candidate-Pack-Jan-2024-final.pdf
Write a 1 page supporting statement, or record 5 minutes of audio or video, telling us why you fit this role. These can be uploaded to the link in the candidate pack or e-mailed directly to us.
The supporting statement should set out:-
- Why you want to work at Belarus Free Theatre.
- What experiences and skills do you have that illustrate your suitability for the role of Finance Manager.
Please include contact details in your CV or supporting statement.
You should explicitly address the criteria set out in the role description and person specification when preparing your statement.
Please apply by: 10am 19th February
We’ll be in touch by: 22nd February
We’d like to meet you w/c 4th March if selected for interview. Interviews will be held in London.