The Gallery Assistant will assist the Gallery Manager with daily operations and will provide customer service to clients and visitors to Phillips Southampton. The exhibition space is an arm of Phillips Auction House, the premier destination for international collectors to buy and sell the world’s most important twentieth-century and contemporary works of art, design, jewels, watches, photographs, editions and works on paper.
This role is primarily client-facing. The Gallery Assistant will be the first person that Phillips’s clients interact with when they visit Phillips’s Hamptons location. They must be professional, confident, and polite while engaging with our diverse clientele. The Gallery Assistant will also help with administrative duties, including answering phones, recording gallery attendance, conducting internal communications, collecting and updating client data, and processing small sales transactions. This position is full time and on a fixed term through September 2022. Weekend availability is a must. Regular hours will be Tuesday through Saturday, 10AM – 6:00PM. The candidate is eligible for the company’s benefits plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet clients and answer questions about the auction house and upcoming auctions and programming.
- Assist clients with pre-sale registration and verifying and updating client accounts.
- Assist clients with payment processing and the collection of artworks.
- Assist various Phillips departments with client communication or other tasks as needed.
- Answer the phones, check voicemails, and return clients calls.
- Assist in opening and closing the gallery.
- Assist the Gallery Manager with various operational tasks.
- Help with special events such as cocktail parties, tours of the gallery space, and private viewings. Duties may include handling RSVPS, checking in clients at the door, and working with vendors.
Professional Skills and Experience
• Ability to communicate in a professional and pleasant manner
• Ability to stay calm under pressure
• Ability to multitask
• Must be highly organized
• Must be dependable and a team player
• Must be proficient with Microsoft and Mac products
• Needs to take initiative
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
• Must commit to regular and punctual attendance
Education and Training
• 2 Years of professional work experience is preferred.
• Art history or client services background is preferred.
• Bachelor’s or associates degree required.
• Fluency in a foreign language is a plus.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Outlook.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please use the subject header “Gallery Assistant”. Please be advised: due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and backgrounds best fit the needs of the open position. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.