For more than 150 years, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) has been a leader in educating the world’s most influential artists, designers and scholars. Located in downtown Chicago with a fine arts graduate program consistently ranking among the top four graduate fine arts programs in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, SAIC provides an interdisciplinary approach to art and design as well as world-class resources, including the Art Institute of Chicago museum, on-campus galleries and state-of-the-art facilities. SAIC’s undergraduate, graduate and post-baccalaureate students have the freedom to take risks and create the bold ideas that transform Chicago and the world—as seen through notable alumni and faculty such as Michelle Grabner, David Sedaris, Elizabeth Murray, Richard Hunt, Georgia O’Keeffe, Cynthia Rowley, Nick Cave, and LeRoy Neiman.
Responsible for the preparation, installation, maintenance, and de-installation of the exhibitions at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago’s galleries. Under general supervision, or following instructions, relocates artwork and production/display elements within the building and storage areas. Prepares artwork for shipping to other museums after exhibitions. Manages student worker crews.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Handles works of art, under supervision.
2. Assists in transporting and installing art in galleries, storage, etc.
3. Assists Senior Exhibition Manager and Registrar with packing and unpacking artwork.
4. Receives initial training in art handling from Registration and Installation, and participates in periodic refresher courses conducted by Registration and Installation.
5. Lays out and implements gallery configurations.
6. Coordinates schedules and duties with the Senior Exhibition Manager.
7. Oversees, assists, and schedules work-study students hired to prepare, maintain, and de-install the exhibition site.
8. Assists exhibiting artists with their installations, troubleshooting and problem-solving art hanging methods, electrical, and equipment issues.
9. Positions signage and lights in the exhibition space and office area.
10. Opens and closes the exhibition site.
11. Maintains and inventories tools and materials.
12. Assists at special receptions, performances, and other events scheduled during the run of the exhibitions.
2 years of Art handling and art installation experience in a Museum or gallery required; knowledge and interest in works of art; ability to lift 60 lbs. comfortably and work with basic tools; mount making a plus; ability to operate equipment; follow instructions precisely, work well under pressure and meet deadlines; sensitivity to needs of curatorial staff.
Application Time Out Warning
The Art Institute of Chicago requires all applicants to complete an online application to be considered for employment. 60 minutes are allotted for applicants to complete the employment application. The application will automatically time out after 60 minutes. If you are unable to submit the completed application at this time, please choose the “Save for Later” option to avoid losing the information you have entered so far.
The Art Institute of Chicago is an equal opportunity, equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace.
This is a 28 hour per week part-time position