Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
Tapping into a vibrant and growing market, our Contemporary Curated Sale is a lively and fast paced business. Embedded in our Contemporary Department, this Specialist will take full ownership of running our Contemporary Curated auctions. You will have a dual focus as both a Contemporary Art Specialist and as a team leader, looking after a small but highly promising team, you will be responsible for the Contemporary Curated sales with responsibility for the solicitation, authentication, evaluation and sale of property to meet sales and profit targets. This is a truly unique opportunity to be a part of the Contemporary department in New York and to run a $30m sale in the most competitive and fascinating art market.
- Day to day management of the Contemporary Curated sales in New York.
- Involvement with all aspects of the day to day operations for these sales
- Ensure that the sales is properly researched and catalogued, helping as necessary with the catalogue process including catalogue production, layout and design as well as writing catalogue notes and condition reports
- Evaluate client’s property at Sotheby’s and at client locations, including participation in full valuation projects
- Oversee the exhibition set up
- Working proactively on client development – actively managing client relationships in order to enhance client loyalty and generate business; supporting key client activity in particular focusing on generating new networks of clients/collectors to Sotheby’s
- Work with all Contemporary specialists to sell the sale by helping clients at the exhibition; speaking to clients about the property; develop, track and communicate client interest in lots; and execute bids at sale
- Active participation with the Contemporary community within New York – attendance at social and art world events e.g. gallery and museum openings; increasing the network of contacts and relationships within this market
Ideal Experience & Competencies
Our Specialists are incredibly talented, passionate and driven. For the Contemporary Specialist, Head of Curated Sale, we are also looking for a strong managerial background as you will mentor and guide a highly promising team. Additional key criteria for a successful applicant include;
- Self-starter and proven ability to initiate business
- A team player with excellent communication skills
- Thorough, focused, with a passion and commitment to the field
- Professional and discreet client service skills
- Excellent writing and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain composure in a stressful environment and meet constant deadlines
- Strong multi-tasker
- Knowledge of the auction business
The proposed base salary for this position ranges from $85,000-$125,000. In addition to base salary successful candidates are eligible to receive a discretionary bonus, as well as a competitive benefits package. Salary offers are based on a wide range of factors including relevant skills, training, experience, education, and, where applicable, licensure or certifications obtained. Market and organizational factors are also considered.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here .
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here .
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.