New York or Los Angeles
Closing date: 1 Mar 2022
Reporting directly to the Marketing Director this role will execute an effective and innovative Press and Communications strategy, pitching stories, and work for the U.S. based (East and West coast) specialist departments, auction sales, events and company and industry announcements.
• Identify creative and compelling ways to introduce the Bonhams brand, auction, and events to a new and broad audience, locally and internationally.
• Partner and collaborate with Marketing team to ensure that deadlines are met and strategies aligned with our global team.
• Establish strong relationships with Heads of Departments and Specialists to proactively develop new, innovative, and strategic media campaigns resulting in significant editorial coverage.
• Develop and execute crisis management strategy to problematic press issues and appropriately craft responses working with Global Director of Communications.
• Conceptualize, research, and place stories in national and where relevant international media outlets.
• Work with Bonhams’ senior leadership to generate stories that raise the profiles of individual departments and individual specialists.
• Execute PR strategies: media relations outreach, editorial placements, interview opportunities, and preparation for spokespeople.
• Handle announcements when senior executives or specialists are appointed, working with leadership to determine approach.
• Develop and establish connections with agencies, new media outlets and key press figures.
• Maintain strong relationships with target media contacts and major outlets to help with positioning of Bonhams in media coverage and leveraging crisis situations.
• Coordinate with Bonhams’ social media specialists to align messages and contribute to the organization’s social media strategy.
• Collaborate with departments for information about consignments, cultural sensitivity, legal issues, and other topics related to PR strategy and awareness.
• Be available for additional duties as assigned by Global or Marketing Directors.
• B.S./B.A in Communications, Public Relations or related field
• 5 years’ experience in an arts related PR firm, creative agency, auction house or major luxury brand
• Experience working with a range of media: writing, video, presentations, etc.
• Proactive and collaborative with proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment
• Ability to grow and establish strong working relations with new clients and vendors
• Direct experience and ability to connect and interact with agencies and partners
• Ability to think outside the box and in an entrepreneurial way
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience working in an auction house setting is helpful
If you wish to apply, send your CV and cover letter to the People Team via email to Recruitment, with ‘Head of Press, US’ in the subject line. Please make sure to note which location, NY or LA, you are based in.
We thank you for your interest in this position but please note that we will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration.
Bonhams is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.