The individual in this position will work with the Manager of Public Learning Experiences to manage the Learning Center’s dedicated core of volunteers as they engage visitors in unique Public Learning experiences focused on Field Museum exhibits, collections, and science. This position may include some evening and weekend programming and event responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the Learning Center volunteer program, including the volunteer population and the development of programming
- Position will manage the ongoing development and daily execution of the adult volunteer program and all related visitor experiences. This includes creating and updating new and existing tours, programming, activities, and experiences that support the Museum’s Mission and the goals of the Learning Center. This position will also collaborate with the Manager of Public Learning Experiences and/or the Exhibits team to identify and develop new volunteer roles, experiences, and engagements to compliment temporary / traveling exhibits as appropriate.
- Position will also develop and oversee the consistent onboarding and training of new Learning Center volunteers in collaboration with the Manager of Public Learning Experiences and the Volunteer & Public Learning Experiences Administrator. This team will create and develop a cohesive onboarding and general training for all Learning Center volunteers. This position will manage all subsequent tours and new experiences-specific training, testing, and coaching of volunteers.
- Manage the day-to-day program execution and volunteer coaching
- Position will manage the development, coaching, and growth of the volunteer program. Assign and discuss daily and big-picture duties and priorities on an ongoing basis Manager of Public Learning Experiences. Meet consistently to plan, develop, and assign the ongoing training, coaching, and retention of the volunteer population. Discuss, edit, and implement new tours and experiences. Prioritize time and projects around the Volunteer Learning Experiences staffing of the Grainger Science Hub as assigned (at least 1 day per week, or as assigned).
- Collaborate with the Manager of Volunteers to identify opportunities for enrichment, growth, and recognition of volunteers
- Regularly meet and collaborate with the Volunteer Manager (Human Resources) to ensure Learning Center volunteers have opportunity for ongoing growth and recognition. This includes the planning and execution of training programs, talks or lectures, volunteer events, or recognition programs and efforts.
- Assist with general Public Learning Experiences needs as recognized and assigned
- 5-7 years experience in one or a combination of the following is strongly preferred– developing and managing tours, educational programming, or exhibits; classroom or informal teaching; supervising employees and volunteers, and developing high-quality learning experiences for informal environments.
- Strong communication skills and be facile at successfully managing, training, coaching, and interacting with individuals and large groups of people.
- Must enjoy working with others, and possess the ability to brainstorm, create, research, write, and develop interactive tours, activities, and facilitations that support the mission of the Field Museum.
- A passion for natural history or the sciences is preferred.
- Must be able to successfully work both as part of a team and by pursuing self-directed projects and activities that contribute to the larger whole.
- Should be creative while able to analyze feedback, and understand and negotiate the needs of multiple audiences.
- Must be self-directed and flexible with schedule.