About The Shed
The Shed is a new cultural institution of and for the 21st century. We produce and welcome innovative art and ideas, across all forms of creativity, to build a shared understanding of our rapidly changing world and a more equitable society. In our highly adaptable building on Manhattan’s west side, The Shed brings together established and emerging artists to create new work in fields ranging from pop to classical music, painting to digital media, theater to literature, and sculpture to dance. We seek opportunities to collaborate with cultural peers and community organizations, work with like-minded partners, and provide unique spaces for private events. As an independent nonprofit that values invention, equity, and generosity, we are committed to advancing art forms, addressing the urgent issues of our time, and making our work impactful, sustainable, and relevant to the local community, the cultural sector, New York City, and beyond.
About The Position
Reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, The Marketing Director plays a key role within The Shed’s Marketing & Communications team, which drives local, national, and global visibility for The Shed’s performances, exhibitions, programs, initiatives, and events. The Marketing Director works closely with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer to develop and manage The Shed’s branding, audience development, and ticket revenue efforts. The position oversees advertising, social media, bulk email marketing, direct mail, CRM, data analysis, marketing research, and promotional partnerships to draw and engage audiences, meet revenue goals, and differentiate The Shed within the cultural sector. The ideal candidate will be someone who connects deeply with The Shed’s mission to advance contemporary culture, is experienced and committed to developing intersectional audiences, has an entrepreneurial mindset, and can work collaboratively with colleagues across a new organization.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies and campaigns to draw a diverse, engaged audience in support of The Shed’s mission and programs
- Supervise all paid media (advertising, search engine marketing/optimization, promoted social posts) and creative campaigns (in collaboration with the Design Director and Editorial Director) and manage The Shed’s marketing agency
- Develop and manage social media strategy, content, community management, and analysis
- Work closely with the editorial staff to develop Shed original content to increase institutional visibility and audience engagement, drive attendance and revenue, and enhance the visitor experience
- Oversee strategy, creation, deployment, and analysis of bulk email marketing; establish policies and maintain best practices; drive traffic to Shed digital platforms; set success metrics/KPIs and monitor campaign results; grow email list; employ A/B testing and continually innovate
- Develop and coordinate all ticket sales-driving direct mail, working in close collaboration with the design and editorial staff in their creation, and supervising all supporting vendors
- Lead marketing-related CRM efforts and data analytics; define and develop success metrics/KPIs for email marketing, direct mail, search, and paid social media campaigns; share insights throughout the organization and foster a collaborative learning environment
- Conceptualize, implement, and analyze dynamic pricing efforts; develop business logic and modeling; collaborate closely with technology and visitor experience/ticketing staff to manage processes
- Collaborate with development staff on membership strategies and tactics that provide seamless customer lifecycle interactions and promote affiliation/loyalty
- Develop marketing partnerships and media sponsorships in collaboration with business development staff
- Ensure that all marketing material conforms to and advances The Shed’s visual identity under the guidance of the Design Director
- Lead all audience/marketing research efforts
- Hire and supervise marketing staff
- Negotiate contracts and supervise external marketing vendors and agencies
- Represent The Shed at industry events
Qualifications And Qualities
- Seven or more years of experience in marketing, with deep knowledge of the contemporary performing arts and visual arts
- Exceptional written communication skills with a strong sense of storytelling
- Substantial understanding of marketing analytics and digital marketing platforms
- Team leader with supervisory experience and a collaborative approach
- Excellent judgment, collegiality, and ability to juggle multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Experience using Google Suite, WordFly, Tessitura, Sprout, SurveyMonkey
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
The Shed is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.