Application Deadline: Aug 06, 2021
Start Date: Sep 01, 2021
Salary From: 60K To 70K
Region: Metro Toronto Area
Employee Benefits: Health, Pension, Other (e.g. flex time, comp tickets, etc.)
Check Additional Info section for more Employee Benefits
Organization’s Field/Discipline: Cultural Industries
Job’s focus: Creative
Job Type: Full-time
Career Level: Intermediate
Royal Ontario Museum
The ROM is Canada’s largest museum with collections that span art, culture and nature from across time and around the Globe. Among North America’s most renowned museums, the ROM is home to more than 12 million objects and specimens, 40 galleries and exhibitions spaces and a range of fascinating exhibitions, lectures, tours and events. From contemporary art and fashion textiles to South Asian art and culture, from dinosaurs and science to the history of Canada, the ROM invites you to explore and discover a remarkable array of offerings that will delight and inspire visitors of all ages.
Full Time, Permanent
Are you ready to take the next step in your marketing career? Are you attracted to a busy role where each day is different and every project is unique? Do you want to bring your skills and knowledge of marketing to an organization that you will be proud to work for? Would you like to combine all of that with the security of working for Canada’s largest museum with the salary, benefits and pension that come with being a part of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)?
Do you want to work for a cultural organization that makes a difference in your city, your country and the broader culture?
Look no further because you could be our new Marketing Specialist.
ROYAL ONTARIO MUSEUM
For over 100 years the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) has been a showcase for art, culture, and nature from around the world and across the ages. The ROM is among the top 10 cultural institutions in North America and is Canada’s largest and most comprehensive museum. The ROM is a national landmark and a dynamic cultural destination in the heart of Toronto.
The role of our Marketing Specialist is to promote the ROM’s various offerings to drive awareness, interest, and attendance to the Museum, and engage diverse audiences in building a relationship with the ROM.
Working under the supervision of the Manager, Marketing, the Marketing Specialist is one of two Specialists responsible for developing and implementing integrated, cross-platform marketing campaigns for exhibitions, programs, events, or other projects assigned by the Manager, Marketing. In particular, the incumbent is responsible for:
- Media planning and buying for exhibitions, programs, and brand campaigns in partnership with ROM’s advertising agencies, with an in-depth knowledge of emerging trends and best practices.
- Development of media partnership pitches, contract negotiations and fulfillment. Understanding of the evolving GTA competitive media landscape is key.
- Lead the creative development from briefing to execution with both internal designers and external ad agencies.
- Copywriting and editing for advertising campaigns and various brand publishing vehicles for web, print, radio, online, paid social media and broadcast platforms.
- Strong SEM knowledge for best practices and campaign planning, specifically related to Google platforms.
- Creative direction of photo and video shoots and recording sessions.
- Advertising production including coordinating and approving the work of external vendors and internal service departments including graphic designers, photographers, printers, web designers, videographers, and editors.
- Brand and audience development initiatives as they pertain to marketing. Includes regular industry scanning, review of audience and market research, and working with various internal teams such as Audience Insights (audience research), Membership, Exhibition Development, and Programs and Events to ensure the museum is being marketed to the right audience segments, using the appropriate communication channels.
- Developing and tracking large and intricate project budgets and timelines to ensure all project deliverables are met on time and on budget.
- Analyze campaign effectiveness and provide strategic direction and planning for future projects and adjust where possible to optimize performance.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in marketing or advertising (3-year program) OR an acceptable equivalent in education and experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in marketing or advertising with a minimum of three (3) years at a specialist level or higher, including responsibility for planning and executing integrated, multi-channel advertising campaigns. This includes a minimum of three years’ experience with planning and buying media.
- Solid and demonstrable understanding of the creative principles of advertising design across multiple yet integrated platforms is a must. Experience in writing and issuing creative briefs and supervising the work of internal and external designers.
- Experience and solid background in SEO and SEM strategies and best practices from planning to execution.
- Strong understanding of the principles of print, out of home, broadcast, social media and online creative development and production a necessity.
- Clear understanding of digital campaign strategies and emerging platforms.
- Superior communication skills including negotiating abilities (to secure partnerships and rates), copywriting (particularly the ability to merge sales copy with powerful storytelling), and the ability to successfully communicate with internal and external suppliers on creative feedback in a positive and effective manner to ensure marketing deliverables are met.
- Demonstrate organizational skills, ability to juggle multiple projects, meet deadlines, work under pressure, and take own initiative. Must be able to effectively track and manage project budgets.
- Computer experience with MS Office (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat Professional is a must. Experience with design software such as Photoshop and InDesign and familiarity with HTML and Drupal are required.
- French is considered an asset.
STARTING DATE: ASAP
HOURLY RATE: $60,596 – $69,252 per annum
UNION AFFILIATION: OPSEU Local 543
How to Apply:
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you will receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results. We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2S+, veterans, and people with disabilities. We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment and look forward to hearing from you.
Apply before 5:00 PM on: August 06, 2021
At the ROM, we consider equity, diversity, and inclusivity to be foundational to our institutional success. We seek to foster a workplace that reflects [the full breadth of] the communities we serve and welcome applications from women, racialized persons/BIPOC, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, LGBTQ2S+, and people with disabilities.
The ROM is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA) to applicants invited to an interview.
The ROM would like to thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.