The Gordon House Conservancy is hiring!
Posting: July, 2020
The Gordon House in the Oregon Garden in Silverton is the only structure in Oregon designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is operated as a house museum and is open to the public for guided tours and special events.
We are looking for a dynamic, organized, preservation-minded person to become our part-time Gordon House Assistant / Docent. The person hired for this position must have excellent customer service skills and a willingness to be a bit flexible with their time.
Position Title: Museum Assistant/ Docent
Hours: 10:30 AM – 4:30 PM Saturdays and Sundays, for a total of 12 hours/week. Hours may increase to include special events, so applicant must have some flexibility.
Temporary position: Position open until filled, dates to be arranged. Gordon House staff and Board of Directors are constantly monitoring changing Oregon health guidelines, and the duration of employment may be subject to change.
Approximately 6,000 visitors from across the country and the globe normally visit the Gordon House each year. The house museum not only offers tours but is available to rent for a variety of occasions and has been the site of weddings, receptions, dinner parties, celebrations of life, fundraisers, and concerts.
One of the primary goals in filling this position is to hire a skilled Gordon House Museum Assistant who will become a vital member of a small but devoted and passionate team of staff and volunteers. Our new Museum Assistant will be a champion of the organization’s mission by being dedicated to the education of the public about Wright’s architectural principles.
General Statement of Duties:
The Temporary Museum Assistant will provide customer service-oriented, organized on-site tours of the Gordon House located next door to The Oregon Garden in Silverton. Responsible for providing educational and factual information to guests regarding the history of the Gordon House through guided tours. Assists Gordon House managers with clerical and cashiering responsibilities, general upkeep and cleanliness of both interior and exterior of the facility. Assists with occasional Gordon House public events and exhibitions.
Reports to: Gordon House Site Manager
Supervision exercised: Volunteers and guests as directed by the Gordon House Site Manager
- Open the Gordon House before the tours begin in the morning and close after the last guests leave
- Greet guests, collect admission tickets, and encourage tours
- Lead 3 daily tours of the House at designated times
- Assist with purchases from the Museum Store and with end-of-day sales activities
- Direct guests and answer their questions, serving as an ambassador for the Gordon House, The Oregon Garden and Oregon Garden Resort, and the City of Silverton
- Monitor and regulate guest and volunteer activities in a professional manner to ensure guest safety and compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Follow regular cleaning and sanitizing procedures
- Perform other duties to support the organization, as needed
Skills and Qualifications required:
- Must be at least 17 years of age
- Proficiency with English language; spoken and written
- Ability to walk up and down stairs and stand for long periods of time
- Lift 20-30 lbs infrequently
- Basic computer skills to include Word, Excel, and POS systems, with the ability to learn new programs that support the organization, as needed
- Prior customer service
- Pleasant and courteous demeanor, and talk with the public with ease
- Ability to communicate effectively with Gordon House guests, co-workers, and volunteers
- Cash handling experience
- Ability to be punctual and flexible with time
Skills and Qualifications preferred:
- Current student or graduate possessing at least a high school diploma or GED
- Interest in Frank Lloyd Wright, architecture, art, math, etc.
- Ability to speak to large and small groups
To apply, submit the following documents as two Word files to [email protected] with “Application Materials” in the subject line.
1) Cover letter that explains how your skills and experience match those listed on the position description.
2) Current resume that includes the names and contact information for three (3) references, at least one of which must be able to address your work experience.