Meet sales principally in the fields of Impressionist, Modern and Contemporary Art, with focus on mid, upper mid-market and upper market value, to be sold in London, New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Milano, Zurich and to generate exports as well in other fields for those and other selling centres.
Develop strong relationships with our relevant existing client database and develop new client relationships. Identify new opportunities for development and update the client system accordingly.
Work closely with the European Head of Contemporary Art, the Chairman of Switzerland and the European Regional Offices Directors on a day-to-day basis, to maintain a high level of efficiency and productivity in Zurich. Carry out administrative procedures in accordance with corporate governance and compliance policy and the Client Service Commitment.
- Source & negotiate consignments, meeting export and set net profit targets;
- Facilitate high level private treaties where appropriate, in consultation with the Directors and Specialists of the Departments;
- Organise visits/sweeps and following up with clients and experts;
- Maintain and update client database;
- Proactively contribute to the strategic and tactical plans to support Sotheby’s Zurich business goals;
- Develop together with other Key Client Managers’ and experts, plans for the expansion of the client base and for new business opportunities and initiatives;
- Improve/increase Sotheby’s local profile by representing Sotheby’s in various events and in attending openings, etc.;
- Maintain an exceptionally high level of client service, both internally and externally;
- Operate at all times in accordance with the company’s rules on compliance and corporate governance.
Client Relationship Management:
- With a strong focus on relevant clients, work closely with other Business Getters/Liaisons and European Client Development teams to manage and develop new and relevant clients in line with the corporate strategy;
- Manage the client relationship, create/identify business opportunities and respond to client needs;
- Maintain an exceptionally high level of client service, both internally and externally.
Departmental and office support responsibilities include:
- Organise consignments, shipping and payment;
- Responsible for all related administration tasks, e.g. communication with clients, follow up with clients, liaising with Marketing about advertising the visits, receipting consignments etc;
- Assist with any ad hoc projects as required, even outside of the main scope of departments;
- Help and organise corporate events for the department e.g. sending out invitations, catalogues, help with the set-up of sales/exhibitions, attend viewings.
- Extensive knowledge, passion and commitment to the Modern & Contemporary Art field locally and internationally;
- Degree holder or equivalent (Art related masters preferable);
- Proven business acumen and developed valuation skills in Modern & Contemporary Art;
- Former experience in an auction house or in an Art gallery in a similar position preferred;
- Bilingual in both German (Swiss German) and English mandatory, French would be a plus, any other languages an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, and a commitment to an exemplary level of client service;
- Ability to work effectively individually and in a team, and in a cross-department organization;
- Ability to work under pressure, to have a flexible approach to a wide range of tasks and proven ability to meet deadlines;
- Excellent networking and influencing skills.