Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.THE ROLETo be the primary liaison between clients and Sotheby’s’ specialists for all types of valuations and manage any resulting sale process through to completion. To manage and produce valuations (whether single or multi-departmental) for sale consignments, working particularly closely with key revenue generating departments, business generators, specialists and regional offices in the areas of greatest growth.
- Oversee the entire valuation process: carry out pre-valuation visits, assess the contents of properties, calculate fees, organise the appropriate team of specialists and valuers for client visits, write briefs, organise their working notes for typing, proofing and act as quality check before documents are sent to the client.
- Prepare summary reports and action points at the start, throughout and on completion of a valuation, identifying opportunities for sale and client relationship development and seeing through to successful sale consignments.
- If required prepare briefing notes, documents and analysis for Major Business Committee, Proposals and Finance.
- If required liaise with Proposals and other stakeholders throughout proposal preparation
- Identify sale date and discuss general logistics with specialist department, operations and relevant BD and Sale Directors.
- If required coordinate Marketing, Events and Press for proposal and pitch.
- If needed arrange on-site photography and videography.
- Liaise with pre-sale and /or legal regarding contract
- Responsible for compliance issues i.e. VAT, CITES, ART LOSS REGISTER, RESTITUTION etc.
- Oversee collection, labelling and shipping of property
- Ensure that all promises/commitments made to clients are followed through
- Maintain records and oversee all correspondence with clients from outset to payment
- If required act as point of contact for in-house team and client
- If required prepare Post-Mortem analysis (win or lose) at conclusion of each project
- Maintain competitor analyses
- Other projects as assigned by Manager
Ideal Experience & Competencies
- Graduate with longstanding service at a global auction house and relevant departmental experience
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Highly developed commercial awareness
- Strong numeracy and analytical skills and high attention to detail
- High computer literacy
- Flexible approach to working hours and prepared to travel extensively when required
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively alone using own initiative or as part of a team
- Strong all-round knowledge of the arts and art market
- Strong all-round knowledge and understanding of collection ownership; including taxation, management and valuation
- Team player and motivator
- Able to work under pressure, keeping to tight deadlines
- Flexible and highly personable
- Excellent client skills
- Language skills advantageous
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here .To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here .The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.