Ceramics are „in“ again (have them ever been „out?“) – like any number of painters in the art history — Picasso, de Kooning, Lucio Fontana –– young artists and designers found it refreshing to work three-dimensional.
We spotted some stunning works of clay during design week in Milan and these are the 5 shows you might have missed but should know about:
1. Nikolay Koshelev, b. 1987 in Moscow might be already on your radar since his entry at Phillips’ „New Now“ Auction in February 2018 with a whopping 25 K USD for his work.
Curated by Berlin-based Moscow-born curator Yulia Belousova, his brand new ceramics are on view in Brera at Cambi (the Italian auction house that dedicated the space to an independent show of colourful stunning ceramics). Via San Marco, 22. Open daily till 7pm, www.cambiaste.com
2. Instagram-darling and so called „mixed media creative wunderkind“ Luke Edward Hall, surprises the visitors of Desing Week by his newest collaboration „Il Viaggio di Nettuno“ with Richard Ginori. Not only Italian pasta but even a sad bunch of kale after a carb-filled-week will look fantastic on Hall’s plates.
Catch it in Brera at Ginori’s shop , piazza S. Marco 3
3. After the debut show at CFA in Berlin Zhivago Duncan, b.1980 in Indiana seemed to disappear for a moment. To be more precise, the reason for his short absence was the artists’ moving to Mexico, yes, you hear it right – to the homeland of Frida Kahlo and Diego Riviera. Inspired by the colourful landscapes and the row materials of his new-chosen home, Zhivago’s new ceramics at the show at Galleria Poggiali is a must if in Milan.
Gallerie Poggiali, Foro Buonoparte, 52
4. The question if what’s art and what’s design has been raised ever since. Swedish design brand invited John Booth and Ian McIntyre collaborating as Supergroup ‘Superscene’ to work on a ceramic collection . These signed, limited edition ceramic sculptures are a reflection on the idea of ornamentation; their function is purely decorative. For sure the sculptures will bring more joy into every day life. Call it art, call it design, but we love it.
Milan Design Week 2019 8-12 April Hem Gallery & Garden
Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi, 117, 20121 Milano MI, Italy
5. Last but not the least (of course, not!) also The Haas brothers, LA-based twin artists Simon and Nikolai Haas show some collectibles in Milan. You might know them for their cute monsters, accessories for Lady Gaga or their gold-leafed furniture for Louis Vuitton stores. L’Objet teamed up with the twins for Design Week in Milan to showcase a dining room full of cuddly monsters.