Spooky season is here and we know that all you gallerinas and fashionistas are looking for your costumes for Halloween.
Sometimes going as a sexy zombie or one of the Powerpuff girls just won’t cut it, and you want to let the world see your more academic, aesthetically-sensitive side. Time to get inspired by some of the art world’s Greatest Hits.
Two things we can recommend that you definitely avoid when putting together your dream art-inspired outfits: don’t go as Van Gogh with a bandaged ear (ableism is never a good look) and don’t dress up as Frida Kahlo unless you’re incredibly aware of what might constitute cultural appropriation.
So here’s our list of art-inspired ideas for your next Halloween bash:
• Roy Lichtenstein’s Crying Girl Spot Makeup
• Rene Magritte’s The Son of Man Mask
• Grant Wood’s American Gothic Couple Costume
• Damien Hirst’s The Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living Shark Costume
• Sarah Lucas’ Self Portrait with Fried Eggs Outfit
• Andy Warhol’s Marilyn Monroe in Multicolour Face Paint
• Johannes Vermeer’s Girl With The Pearl Earring Outfit
• John William Waterhouse’s The Lady of Shalott Outfit
• Jackson Pollock’s Number 1 Splatter Makeup
• Mark Rothko’s Untitled Colour-Ombre Outfit & Makeup
Author: Verity Babbs